Thursday, July 29, 2010

Let's Get Physical!

I am happy to say that I have finally started Physical Therapy.  Just over a month after el accidente, I went to San Diego, California for two months of intensive therapy at Project Walk.  I also traveled to Barcelona on two separate occasions within the past year for a bit more therapy.  As for all that time in between...well...I have pretty much done my own thing (if anything at all), and I'll admit that it has not been very consistent.

So now that I am back in Dubai and turning over a new leaf, I decided to jump right into my fitness aspirations again.  After some research, I finally settled on a certified Physical Therapist/Pilates Instructor who has experience working with cripples like myself and who is suprisingly familiar with the Project Walk method.  The week after I arrived, I had my first appointment.

The sessions are held one-on-one in a private room full of trapeze machines and mechanical chairs and springs and other Pilates gimmicks.  I don't do any major meathead moves or anything, but all the exercises hit right in those small muscle groups and I'm always tired at the end of each one-hour session; however, I'm not exhausted, but at the "Oh Dear Jesus!" price of $110 per hour, I can't exactly afford any extra time.  

At any rate, I'm going to physical therapy twice a week, riding a stationary bike for one hour every day, quickly depleting my bank account, and getting stronger by the day.  I've even started working on taking a few steps without using crutches (one crutch is pretty easy).  These tricks are definitely not ready for the public yet...I do still have my pride, after all.

Headband--Check.  Knee Socks--Check.  Off to physical therapy!

No comments:

Post a Comment