Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Up, Up, and Away

I can't believe it's been two weeks since my last blog-fession.  I have no idea what I have been doing with my time.

Let's see...I rode down with my parents to my sister's place in Miami on Monday the 28th.  The following day, I went to see Dr. Muy Caliente for another follow-up appointment.  First, they cracked off my ugly, dingy, brownish (formerly off-white) cast to reveal an extremely skinny gorilla-esque right leg.  Who knew I could put Robin Williams to shame?  Despite attempts at light-hearted banter and eyelash batting, I couldn't distract the doctor's eyes from my leg.

The doctor moved on to my toes, and with a bit off coaxing, he yanked out the metal pins; needless to say, it didn't hurt a bit.  The doctor then proceeded to explain a few things about my recovery and walking boots and splints and physical therapy and probably some other monotonous information that I wasn't listening to, as the only question on my mind was:  "How long do I have to stay here in the US???"  I got the answer I was hoping for:  "You can go now!"  Jackpot. 

So the next day I went to get fitted for new ankle splints (also known as AFOs...ugly, enormous, and unattractive devices that I'll have to wear at all times to keep my newly floppy feet from...well...from flopping).  After the fitting I was immediately at the Delta Airlines ticket counter, booking my seat on the following Wednesday's flight back to Dubai.

This past weekend was 4th of July, and it was my first in the US since 2004.  Of course, in Miami the heat and torrential summer downpours prevented any type of beach or bbq action, but we did manage to get a few hours of calm to watch some fireworks.

So now it's Tuesday, and we're heading back up north to my parents' place in Valdosta.  We first must stop by the Orthotics place so that I can pick up my new AFOs.  There's also a massive Zappos box full of shoes waiting for me at my parents' house, so tonight upon arrival I will be busy trying on shoes and packing up my bags, because after a morning haircut and a few errands, I'll be off on the 6:00 pm flight tomorrow for Dubai.

5 comments:

  1. I'm missing you on facebook tiff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for inviting me to your blog, tiffany! you are an amazing girl with an amazing spirit. i can't believe how different our lives are from when you were my personal trainer! safe travels back to dubai--i'll be following you via your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back to Dubai eh? Hmm I curious about the draw, might have to make my own way there one of these days. So is it Dubai or the Spaniard? ;) either way enjoy and looking forward to your updates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiff, if you're in still in Dubai and have have a moment to spare (highly unlikely but there's hoping :P) let me know please, I would love to see you. I have a little prezy for ya!

    Giane

    ReplyDelete