Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Seven Days of Change

The last seven days have been something of a week of change for me. 

For example, one week ago today I shut down my Facebook account.  I had been using Facebook since 2006, and at first I loved what the social networking platform had to offer, finding it fun to reconnect with old friends.  However, after a while I found my "Friends" list inundated with people who weren't really my friends, and as I am not a big fan of clutter, I began to feel suffocated.  Additionally, since I stopped working, I have found myself becoming extremely lazy, where it was easier and required little brainpower to blow a few hours on Facebook instead of doing something productive with my time.  I also could not handle reading the news on CNN.com without being lambasted with what my Facebook friends were reading or sharing.  I finally bit the bullet and shut that bad boy down without one iota of regret.  The way I see it, if people want to keep in touch with me, they will.  And they have. 

I also chose this week to finally begin writing this blog.  It's about seventeen months late, but better late than never.  I have tons of catching up to do, but I am excited about seeing the final result.  I also feel much happier now that my brain is working and I am writing again.
Adding to my week of changes, I dyed my hair red and got it chopped off into a pixie cut.  I have always been a fan of constantly changing my looks and have had every color of the rainbow on my head; however, my hair, no matter the length or color, has been in a constant ponytail since about 1999.  Whenever I watch makeover shows on television, women who embrace ponytails 24/7 tend to have little kids and the excuse that they don't have time to spend on their hair. Well, I have all the time in the world, but I just cannot be bothered to spend it on my hair.  Therefore, I decided to chop it all off!

What else is different...hmmm....oh yes, I removed my belly button ring yesterday.  This tiny silver bar has adorned my mid-section for the last eight years, but I finally realized that I am now thirty years old and the belly ring is so late-90s.  Not to mention it tackily contrasted with my new black and gold bikini...Bye-bye belly ring, hello belly hole.  

Tomorrow I am finally getting my much-anticipated surgery!  Achilles tendon lengthening, a routine, minimally-invasive procedure, will be done on both my feet.  My right foot will also be receiving a Tendon Transfer, which is a complex reconstruction of the tendons in my ankle.  These surgeries should correct what I've coined my "Barbie Feet," also known as contracted Achilles tendons or "toe walking".  I'm not sure what time I go in for surgery, as I have to wait until this afternoon to call. 

I am very excited about getting the surgery, and it will just be another item to add to my list of changes!

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany,

    It is Jenny Herrin (Wainright). It has been to long since we last spoke. After reading your blog, I realized that could possibly be one of those friends that you were weeding out. I am truly sorry for that! I have enjoyed reading your blog...this is my first one. I really like your new haircut and cannot wait to read the rest of it. Please excuse my ignorance, but why are you having surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no ... I got to and it was blackness ... but want more.
    Cheers
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE your hair!!! Must be something in the air b/c I just did the same a couple of weeks ago...mine is not as short as yours, but I want to go there..we need to hang out at the salons together as I used to also be experimental!!! One reason I cut it now was b/c I was becoming one of those moms who always had it up in a pony tail..pointless!

    And I hope your surgery went well and can't wait to hear more about it!!!

    I've said it before, but will say it again...good on you for dumping FB...I am still torn...grrrr...but it sounds liberating!!!

    Love
    Pam
    xo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete