Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ugly Cast

I went to Dr. Hot Cubano Thursday for my follow-up appointment after my Barbie-Feet-Fixing Surgery.  My right-leg splint was cut off to reveal a very Frankenstein-like foot...Scars and stitches galore!  I was kicking myself for not remembering my camera.  X-rays seemed to confirm a nice healing process, but all I noticed was that the little metal pins that pop out of the tips of my toes actually extend all the way down to the middle of my foot!  Needless to say, the nurse whispered that it might be a good idea to take some pain medicine before my next appointment and subsequent pin removal!

The doctor breezed in, said everything was fine, prescribed physical therapy for my left foot, and floated out with instructions for the nurse to apply a fiberglass cast to my right foot.  This was the moment I had been looking forward to for ages!  I excitedly rolled onto my stomach and tried my best to keep my knee bent, my uber-weak hamstrings working over-time!  After a few minutes, the nurse announced that she was finished...but wait, she didn't ask me what color I wanted!!!  So I said, "Umm...don't you have any fancy colors?"  And she just laughed at me!  I rolled over and stared at my new cast with disgust.  White.  Not even white--Off-white!  Yellowy, eggshell, creamy, off-white!  Ugh!  I had decided ages ago what color I was going to choose, I was going to go with a nice teal blue or maybe even a royal blue, but here I am, stuck with a big black Velcro boot on my left leg and an off-white cast that's already covered with dirt stains and drops of my niece's blue bubble solution on my right leg.  Fantastic. 
  
Yesterday I went in for my first physical therapy session.  After discussing my injury and surgery, the therapist informed me that with the Achilles lengthening, all I have to do is simply stretch my left foot and toes a few times a day.  Clearly, this is something I can do on my own, so I don't have to go into the rehab center again.  Of course, after my cast is removed this will be a different story, as my right foot underwent more elaborate procedures and therefore will need more elaborate therapy.  In the meantime, I'm happy to stay in my pajamas all day and not have to have a reason to go outside!

9 comments:

  1. Enjoying the blog Tiff - where in the states are you based now? Its hard to keep track of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah the blog is awesome!!!Are you in Spain still??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen, that's what paint or markers are for. What else do you have to do than "fancy" it up? Tap into your artistic side.
    Look on the bright side...it sure does accentuate your thin ankles!
    Love you,
    ~Red

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back and forth between Miami and trailer-park central (North Florida) USA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,currently in an ugly uncomfortable cast as well but I got black. My roommate works for an orthopedic office and said she can get black,purple or blue if you like. Email me tippytop100@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Tiff...I am officially addicted to your blog!! I started reading it at midnight, and i just finished going through your latest post, and I CAN'T wait for the next episode! I admire your writing skills, and your ability to make readers live every moment you're describing! Yes, your story definitely deserves to be published, and i would love to help you by offering my PR skills, if you wish to turn your book into an international best seller!! I am really impressed Tiff!!! Get well soon hun, and keep smiling :-)
    your blog fan from Dubai, Hania!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiff -

    I love your blog! I am proud of you for taking these steps. I am more impressed by your attitude as I would say very few people in life are able to handle minimal amounts of adversity. Keep writing as I will follow for sure!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. north florida?! so thats pretty much anything south of atlanta, right?

    Where are you and why are we not hanging out. i was in miami last month!

    we gotta coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool cool...Miami....Trailer park central USA!!!I could of swore that was where I was from. We will have to def meet up, I am planning a trip to Florida as we "type"!!!!Keep writing, I am loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete