Saturday, June 19, 2010

Woes of a Single Girlfriend

Well, I've taken a short hiatus from the blog, albeit an excusable one, as I was busy spending the past week entertaining the Spaniard during his short visit to the "Dirty South". 

I flew out of Miami last Friday and met up with Spaniard at the Atlanta airport as he was arriving from Dubai.  It was exciting to see him, after two months of Skype conversations and 8,000 miles apart.  We had dinner together in the airport before flying on to Valdosta, GA, the local airport near my parents' home.  We spent the weekend relaxing around their house, barrelling through the woods in my dad's souped-up golf cart, watching football (ahem...soccer), river kayaking (I had to stylishly wrap my cast in plastic bags and silver duct tape), and even fishing.  I actually caught my first fish since I was a kid!  The trick?  Casting out the line and leaving it out in the water while my dad circled the boat around the lake a few times (as I loosely held onto the fishing pole while staring off into space) until finally some stupid fish took a bite and I reeled it in hysterically...Spaniard caught a fish with the same technique.

Anyway, after a few days of redneck fun, Spaniard and I drove down to St. Augustine, the oldest city in the United States.  It was actually a former Spanish settlement, complete with fort and cobblestones, but Spaniard did not seem too impressed with our young country's version of an old town.  At any rate, we had a very relaxed time...except for the constant bickering!  You would think that after two months apart, two people could pick up right where things left off and have a lovely time, especially when they only have a few days together. 

Unfortunately, I can be a bit of a drama queen and hard to handle at my best, so I take full credit for the tension.  I have always loved my independence, and let's face it, I truly believe being single can be so much more pleasurable than being in a relationship.  You can be as selfish and obnoxious and immature as you want, you can do what you want when you want, and you don't have to worry about anyone else's feelings.  I suppose during my two months away from Spaniard, I had morphed back into my insouciant single persona, and I only had a few days to try to revert back into Girlfriend.  Nevertheless, I failed miserably, making sure to be bipolar and melodramatic at all the right moments.

Fortunately, by the time Spaniard left yesterday, we were friends again and I was forgiven and all was calm.  I'm actually looking forward to getting back to Dubai, and (after inevitably pushing through yet another Hell Week) becoming Girlfriend again...it's not such a bad thing, once you get used to it!

2 comments:

  1. The Spaniard is a major cutie...no surprise there! I'm proud of you for the girlfriend thing...I understand the struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does he have a calculator watch?

    ReplyDelete